Let’s start with showing them its fun and make it fun! Try brushing together, letting your child pick their own toothbrush and grab an egg timer so they know how long to brush for. Show them how to brush properly and take good care of your own oral health which shows them it is something to be valued.
With a few basic steps you can help prevent cavities and gum issues for them in the future.
- Brush and floss your teeth twice a day, once in the morning and at night time before bed.
- Take your child for regular dental check ups, usually recommended every 6 months.
- Eat a well balanced diet limiting sugary foods like juices and soft drinks.
- Use a soft bristled tooth brush and gently brush in circular motions and back and forth.
- Brush along the outside, inside and top of your teeth. Don’t forget your tongue.
- Keep your gums healthy by brushing along the gum line.
- Use the tip of your brush to brush behind the front top and bottom teeth.
With these steps looking after their oral health should be a breeze.
Ian, the Mosman dentist. Dentist Mosman.