Sugary food is the number 1 cause of tooth decay and often people do not
realise how much sugar is in their food. We must limit sugar
consumption to keep good oral health.
Here are 10 foods that you wouldn’t have thought are surprisingly high in sugar:
1) Low fat yoghurt- A single cup can have 24.5 grams.
2) BBQ Sauce- 2 tablespoons can have 14 grams.
3) Ketchup- 1 tablespoon is one teaspoon of sugar.
4) Fruit Juice- Some juices can have as much sugar in them as Coca Cola!
5) Pasta Sauce- We recommend to make your own!
6) Sports drinks- An average 570ml bottle can contain 32 grams of sugar which is 8 teaspoons! Water is always best.
7) Chocolate milk- Regular milk is best to help with teeth and bones.
8) Baked beans- A tin can contain 5 teaspoons of sugar.
9) Cereal bars- Most are just candy bars in disguise!
10) Soup- It’s best to make your own, then you know exactly what is being put in it.
The maximum amount of added sugars you should eat in a day is:
Men: 37.5 grams or 9 teaspoons
Women: 25 grams or 6 teaspoons
Always read the labels and check exactly what you are eating, you may be surprised!
Ian, the Mosman dentist. Dentist Mosman.